Thursday, November 19, 2015

Operating Room Trip #14 - I came, I saw, I got "tubed".

Today is the first day of the rest of your life. It's weird going to bed and knowing that your entire life is going to change the following day. It's strangely exciting and worrisome at the same time. Today is going to help improve things in my life.

One of the problems with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) can be some pretty stellar weight lost. I don't recommend this weight loss plan though. I've had 4 hospitalizations in 3 years because of my nutrition and weight loss, which can happen pretty quickly when you have problems getting food in and digesting it. Because my Crohn's Disease is the worst in my stomach and duodenum, daily nausea and vomiting have been a huge issue for me, and I have a hard time digesting foods properly. Which also means I'm not getting the full nutrient value of the food. If I don't get the nutrients, I can't grow correctly. Sometimes when I am having a really bad flare of my Crohn's (above my normal flare), the doctors take away solid food and I get my nutrition only through my feeding tube. This helps to give my stomach and small intestine a chance to heal. Since February I have had tube feedings daily through a Naso-Gastric (NG) tube, fed up my nose and into my stomach. It's one of my most hated procedures. I'd even rather have bloodwork. It's not that it's painful, it's just the feeling of it going up the nose and then down the back of your throat. Ugh, heebie, jeebies.

After 9 months with an NG tube, we've decided that nutrition is going to be a long-term problem. Today I took the step of allowing them to surgically place a gastrostomy tube (GTube). It's kinda cool since it's like a body piercing, only it's in my stomach and has a tube sticking out the middle. The "hole" will heal to form a tunnel straight from my skin and into my stomach. Awesome science at work. But it also means that I have something else taped to my body other than just my ostomy bag.

Surgery went well. The doctors still called me "medically interesting" because they couldn't place the tube in the usual spot because my rib was in the way and my stomach was too far over. So they had to place it more in the middle, but that was the only glitch today. My heart's running fast tonight but they're watching me closely and cardio is supposed to come around and have their poke and prod with the rest of the medical gang.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I'm quite excited about that future. I was able to see my favorite clown who came by for a visit and he heard about my $1 donation campaign for Jacob's Healing Rooms to make child-friendly outpatient treatment rooms and gave me a donation! It helped to lift my spirits to still be working on my fundraising even while recovering from surgery.

Speaking of recovery, the pain is starting to hit. It's time for me to get some much needed rest finally.

Huge Hugs Going to Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment