Sunday, November 29, 2015

Giving Tuesday is Almost HERE!

I'm so excited! I had an awesome interview with Reka Szekely, a reporter with The Oshawa This Week/Metroland Media shortly before I went in for my GTube surgery. It was published this past week and the response from people has been INCREDIBLE! To date, we have now officially raised $5000. I still have a long way to go to my ultimate goal, but it all feels like it's beginning to take off finally! Here's a link to the article:

Oshawa Boy, Jacob Ralston, fundraises for Sick Kids while Battling Crohn's Disease

Giving Tuesday is fast approaching - December 1st, 2015! I'll be going on an all out media blitz to try to raise as many $1 donations as possible that date, with all the money going to Jacob's Healing Rooms at Sick Kids Hospital. These rooms for children receiving outpatient IV medical treatments are going to be awesome, and so supportive of what these kids are going through. And that's what it's really about - helping others. This is just something small that I could do to hopefully brighten the lives of others. Tablets for games, visual distractions, and a cheerful environment will go a long way to giving the rooms a much needed kid-friendly environment.

You can read more about my plans for the outpatient rooms by clicking HERE

Giving Tuesday also helps me. I might not get to use these rooms in my future, but that's ok with me. I'm doing this because I remember very clearly what it was like to spend so many hours staring at the walls just waiting for it all to be over. I'm doing this because I understand the anxiety of worrying about the treatments and the medications. I'm doing this for the parents, so that they hopefully can relax as much as possible and not worry about needing to offer constant distractions. I'm doing this for the staff, to give them a morale boost and make them feel excited about where they are working. It's not only the kids using the treatment rooms that benefit from my project, but a much larger community of patients, caregivers and staff. Giving Tuesday makes me feel good inside, even when I'm in a lot of pain and very uncomfortable.

Giving Tuesday gives me hope. There's so much negative in this world, Giving Tuesday counters that by promoting kindness and generosity. I can't think of anything better in the world to offer than love. Jacob's Healing Rooms is my gift of love to other kids. It's my wish to help them feel hopeful and inspired. To dream big and never let go of those dreams.

Please share my Jacob's Healing Rooms messages, especially about Giving Tuesday. If you are able to make a $1 donation, it would be very much appreciated. You can make an online donation here:

Hospital for Sick Children Donation Page

If you don't wish to make an online donation but would prefer to make a cash/cheque donation, please send me a note and I can send you the details of how to make sure it goes to Jacob's Healing Rooms.

And don't forget to follow along with me on Twitter!: @KidWithCrohns

Thanks everyone. Each and every one of you are amazing!



No comments:

Post a Comment