Thursday, March 29, 2018

UPopolis - Social Media for Sick Kids

Can you imagine being a child and living with chronic health problems? How many areas of your daily life do you think are effected? What are some of the biggest challenges you see for kids like me?

I've been living with severe, refractory Crohn's Disease for almost 6 years now, having been diagnosed when I was 8. That first year alone following my diagnosis, I missed just under 80 days at a brand new school due to repeat hospitalizations, complications, and surgeries. As my classmates were all making new friends, it was a real challenge when I wasn't there to have that opportunity. Being "different" from all of my classmates, and the majority of the school I'm sure, only made that feeling of being alone, stronger.

Enter UPopolis. Oh you've never heard of this program? Let me tell you about it! UPopolis is a safe social media site targeted to pre-teens and teens in the health community. Patients are encouraged to create their own page, and then start connecting to others. In addition to the patient pages, patients can play games, and have the opportunity to learn more about health conditions through the health-specific pages. It's a place for building knowledge and support, which is something we all need in order to be able to successfully cope with our illness.

UPopolis to me is important because it's a way to connect. Due to my health, I haven't been able to build a lot of friendships in my home area. As I can no longer go to school, there are even fewer social opportunities. When I first started out at the hospital, I would meet different patients at the common areas, like the play lounges, but we often parted ways after a few days and would only randomly run into each other again. UPopolis gives us that ability to maintain the friendships that we do make while we are in-patients.

Sometimes, the severity of our disease or the type of disease we have, can make us feel pretty alone. For example, when I had my "permanent" feeding tube (GTube) put in, I broke out in a widespread rash that we eventually learned was an allergy to silicone. Silicone reactions are so rare that they're virtually unheard of, yet when I touch anything silicone, I blister. Not a lot of my more healthy friends would be able to understand the experience. Yet in the health community, even if someone hasn't experienced the same situation, they can understand the experience. UPopolis is a great way to be able to share our experiences with people who really do "get it". 

UPopolis is a great way to gain knowledge. The first step to coping with any disease is knowledge. When you don't understand what is going on with your body, what the different treatments might be like, etc., it can seem scary and overwhelming. Learning about the condition helps to take those fears away. It also allows you to build a partnership between you and your health team, so that you can actively participate in your healthcare planning. There is so much information on different conditions on UPopolis making it a great place to start to learn more.

Last fall I was asked to be a UPal, a type of mentor for other patients in the UPopolis community. It's such an honor to be asked to be in this role. To have the potential to help someone else who is struggling, is a huge SUPER-POWER! I've had so many health experiences, being involved with so many different specialties at the hospital, that I can now share with others to help them through similar situations. I have the ability to make a difference, and in doing just that, it helps me to feel better. It reminds me that despite my current limitations, I can still change this world of ours for the better. 

3 comments:

  1. I was cured of HIV with the used of natural herbs. My name is luci amber and am from US. I love herbs so much. Most times, injection and drugs are just a waste of time. I was cured 8 months ago, i suffered from HIV for 13 yrs but with the help of Dr.Nana herbal medicine, i was cured within few weeks of drinking the herbs he sent to me through courier delivery service. This same doctor also cured my Aunty from herpes, as soon as i heard she had herpes, i quickly refer her to Dr.Nana and she was cured too after drinking his herbs.I have referred more than 15 persons to Dr.Nana and they were all cured from their various illness. Have you taken herbs before?. You have spent so much money on drugs,injections,surgeries etc and yet you have no good result to show for it. Contact Dr. Nana now, he is a herbalist doctor, i assured you of a cure if you drink his natural herbs. Dr.Nana have herbs that cures Hiv, Herpes, diabetics, asthma, hepatitis, HBP, STD, cancer, chronic, etc. Contact Dr Nana through his Email address on: drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail.com or WHATSAPP/CALL him on+2347014784614. Please share the good news to other people once you are cured

    ReplyDelete
  2. Health wise, I feel like a child dancing in the rain ever since I got cured of hepatitis. I was diagnosed of HEPATITIS B and I was told it has no cure at the hospital, but I was given several antiviral medications to slow the virus’s ability to damage liver. But after sometime the medicine wasn't working and I became very sick with different symptoms like: vomiting, fatigue, dark urine, swollen stomach and so on. I went back to the hospital and I was told it has become chronic with liver problem, and out of frustration I went online to search for something new to try, and I came across Dr. IYABIYE's recommendation, I gave it a try hence it's a herbal medicine. And behold, I was cured after the treatment. I have to wait for months then went back to the hospital and still I was tested negative. You too will be cured. Contact: (Whatsapp: +2348072229413 or +2348158577300) iyabiyehealinghome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a safe & effective Natural Herbal Medicine. For Total Cure Call    +2349010754824,  or email him   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com       For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE contact him. Treatment with Natural Herbal Cure. For:Dengue Fever, Malaria. Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Pressure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Obesity, Lupus.  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count. Bacteria Diarrhea.Herpatitis A&B, Rabies. Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Gallstone, Cirrhosis,  Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Weak Erection.  Erysipelas, Thyroid, Discharge from Penis. HPV.  Hepatitis A and B. STD. Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism, thyroid, Autism, Penis enlargement,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. Etc. Take Action Now. contact him & Order for your Natural Herbal Medicine:  +2349010754824  and email him    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    Note For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE.I suffered in Cancer for a year and three months dieing in pain and full of heart break. One day I was searching through the internet and I came across a testimony herpes cure by doctor Akhigbe. So I contact him to try my luck, we talk and he send me the medicine through courier service and with instructions on how to be drinking it.To my greatest surprise drinking the herbal medicine within three weeks I got the changes and I was cure totally. I don't really know how it happen but there is power in Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine. He is a good herbalist doctor.

    ReplyDelete