Friday, April 15, 2016

Why Giving Matters to Me

Just over a year ago, my dream idea was born. After spending several long, boring days in treatment rooms receiving IV medication for my Crohn's Disease, I decided that a change was necessary. I wanted to make a place that encouraged healing, that helped kids feel as relaxed during their treatments and distracted from the reality of having a chronic, incurable illness. I wanted to create a way of changing the treatment experience so that kids that came after me, wouldn't have to dread their hospital trips. When I started out, I had this single picture in mind, a vision that I call Jacob's Healing Rooms. You can click here to read more about the changes I want to make. In the year that I've been fundraising, I've raised a total of $17,000 to create child friendly places of healing. But along the way my vision became something different. 

Through sharing my Crohn's, ostomy, and bullying experiences, I've found that Jacob's Healing Rooms is about so much more than just transforming a space; it's about hope, kindness, friendship, encouragement, and inspiration. My vision has changed into something bigger over time, I want to be able to inspire other people to find their own ways of giving back, whether that's as simple as holding a door open for a stranger, or as big as ... well, as big as you can dream up. It's people that offer the world kindness that change this world for the better. 

One day I won't be here. I've often thought of what I want people to remember about me after I pass, whether that's tomorrow or 90 years from now. I want people to remember me as someone who made a difference. Someone who no matter the personal challenges, never gave up on achieving their dreams. I want other people to see that every single one of us are capable of creating change and making this world a better place for all of us.

I'm 1/3 the way to my fundraising goal of $60,000 but I'll never be done giving back. Creating change is something positive that I can focus all the negative stuff in my life on. It creates a purpose from all the negative medical things in my life. Giving matters because giving feels good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment