Monday, December 14, 2015

Welcome to Jacob's Online Birthday Bonanza to Benefit Sick Kids!

Welcome to Jacob's Online Birthday Bonanza!

My Birthday Pi Pie (It has a Pi symbol on it)

So, what's this all about you ask? Well, I'm an 11 year old guy celebrating my 12th birthday. A pretty normal thing to do. Except when it's anything but normal! 

So not ready to party
I haven't been able to have a birthday party in three years. In grade 5, while my body was immuno-suppressed, I caught a simple cold. When my birthday came around, I couldn't stop coughing long enough to be able to make a complete sentence. The simple cold lasted 6 months, and ended with me hospitalized on Good Friday with severe pneumonia in both lungs. Then in grade 6, I couldn't stop throwing up. Nothing stops a party faster than that. 

This year, well I woke up with a fever yesterday if that's any indication of how I'm feeling, and I'm in a lot of pain. It was my actual birthday yesterday, and how did I spend it? Trying hard to distract myself from going to the ER with how horrible I'm feeling. I see the medical team tomorrow though, so I'm doing my best to work through it. I'm not alone in being sick on my birthday, when you have an incurable illness, it's just what happens. The positive thing is that I was at home for my birthday which is a lot more than some other sick kids experience. 

Which brings us to the point of today! I wanted to do something to acknowledge my birthday. I decided that I'd invite the world to join me on social media to play a few online games, share a few stories and pictures, and to raise some money for Jacob's Healing Rooms at Sick Kids Hospital!

I've currently raised about $8000, which is an amazing amount, but I need your help to get me closer to my $60,000 goal. Today, I'm hoping that together with your help we can raise my total to $10,000. This money will help to bring smiles to the faces of children spending time in the Medical Short Stay Unit to get IV medication infusions. It will help to distract them from the pain and fear of the medical world. It will help families to connect and brighten the environment for patients, caregivers and staff! I couldn't think of a better birthday present.


These are the treatment rooms that I want to make child-friendly



















How can you help?

1) Participate!! I'll be tweeting (@KidWithCrohns) using the hashtags #JacobsHealingRooms and #HappyBDayJacob. I'll also be on my Facebook Page (www.facebook.com/jacobshealingrooms). Share & Retweet my activities, the more people that are made of aware of my project, the easier it will be to get to my goal!

2) Consider making a donation. My hospital fundraising link is: HERE  No donation is too small as it all gets me closer to my goal.

3) Have FUN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment