Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Jacob's Song of the Day (11/18/2015): "Blue Skies" by Ella Fitzgerald

Today's song of the day is inspired by the idea of accepting reality, no matter how difficult it might be. I have picked "Blue Skies" by Ella Fitzgerald. Have a listen and read why I chose this song today:


"Nothing but blue skies from now on".  It's been a crazy month, even by my own standards. I'm fresh out of surgery #13 and tomorrow will be going back to the operating room for #14, the placement of the GTube (long-term feeding tube).

I've had a week to adjust to the news that we were moving ahead with getting the permanent feeding tube. I wrote a post about my worries and fears when I first found out about it that you can read HERE.

Today I came to the realization that I'm ready. I know that I'm going to need long-term nutrition support; I've been admitted to the hospital 4 times in the last 3 years just for that. I've lived with this NG Feeding tube snaked through my nose and into my stomach since last February. I'm ready to get my face back and remind my friends what I look like without it all there. I'm ok with the fact that this is going to be very long-term. I have such horrible anxiety with the NG Tube insertion so I'm taking comfort in knowing that I won't have to worry about that in the future.

Acceptance is a strange thing. I didn't think I could ever get used to injections but after awhile, it's not that bad (except for some meds that sting!). I didn't think I'd ever, ever accept the fact that my "human waste" is collected in a baggie, but now I barely even think about it. Sometimes I even forget about the NG Tube in my nose until someone asks about it or stares at me strangely. My medical equipment is really just the super-bionic part of me. I wish that it gave me super-powers though.

I think with chronic illness, acceptance is a struggle for a lot of people. Nobody wants to live with an incurable illness that may require a lot of medical attention. Nobody wants the medical interventions that can go with some diseases. Yet, if we want to stay as healthy as possible, these medical treatments are necessary. To fight against them, at least in my case, would be a losing battle. As I see it, the only choice is to accept the changes and adjust to the new normal. And by choosing to accept what is happening to my body, I'm at the same time choosing happiness and hope.

1 comment:


  1. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I was HERPES positive for 5years and all the means i tried for treatment was not helpful to me, but when i came on the Internet i saw great testimony about DR omohan on how he was able to cure someone from HERPES, and any disease this person said great things about this man, and advice we contact him forany problem that DR omohan can be of help, well i decided to give him a try, he requested for my information which i sent to him, and he told me he was going to prepare for me a healing portion, which he wanted me to take for days, and after which i should go back to the hospital for check up, well after taking all the treatment sent to me by DR omohan i went back to the Hospital for check up, and now i have been confirmed HERPES Negative, friends you can reach DR omohan on any treatment for any Disease, reach him on Email (dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com) whatsapp number (+2348164816038)

    ReplyDelete