Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Jacob's Song of the Day (10/28/2015): "Shake Your Euphemism" by Blue Man Group

Today's song is one to make you laugh, "Shake Your Euphemism" by Blue Man Group. Have a listen and read why I picked this song today:


What's your favorite butt euphemism?

Everybody needs a little laughter sometimes, it helps to make the "crappiest" of situations better. I've been feeling extra-super-duper sick these last couple of days and my nausea meds aren't working as well as they should be. It's no big surprise that I'm feeling like my stomach wants to throw a revolution since we know from the scopes that it's inflamed. Halloween is coming up too quickly and with my nausea/vomiting, and having a complete lack of energy, I'm not even sure I'm going to make it to the next door neighbors, never mind the neighborhood block. So it's a bit of a down day.

Or it at least it was until I came across this song. This is perfect. It made me laugh to the point of tears and worrying that I'd never be able to catch my breath again. It took a dark day and just put the power of the sun into lighting it up. And it's also oh-so-appropriate.

November fast approaches and it will be Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Awareness month. Nobody talks about their butts, it's just not a topic of conversation. It needs to be. When researchers look at the average age when a person receives an IBD diagnosis, the fastest growing age group is among children. This becomes extra scary when you consider that individuals living with IBD are at a higher risk of developing GI cancers. The younger you are when you get your diagnosis and the longer you have active disease (not in remission), the greater your chances of developing these cell changes that can lead to cancer. We need more awareness of this disease and just how serious it is. And in order to do that we need to talk about our butts. I'm honored that this November, Crohn's and Colitis Canada has asked if I would be interested in giving media interviews about my experiences. My story of living in a constant flare of my Crohn's Disease for the past 3.5 years clearly points to the need for more research into finding out how to cure it. It also makes me feel like I'm doing my part to push along much needed research and to build some compassion and understanding in the world for people living with this disease.

I can't cure IBD, but I can make the treatment experience better for other kids with the disease while we wait for the cure. I can bring laughter, happiness and hope to make the treatment rooms a child-friendly place of healing. Please help me make my wish to help other sick kids come true, support Jacob's Healing Rooms.

*To make a DONATION to JACOB'S HEALING ROOMS please click HERE*

No comments:

Post a Comment